Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday Madness and......A Recipe!

My husband and I went garden shopping yesterday. He had seen the "topsy turvy" commercial on T.V. You know..those are the things that you use to grow your tomatoes upside down. He was really wanting one, but was shocked at the price.

I guess I am rubbing off on him because he went online and found out how to make his own using milk jugs. So, off we went to get some tomato plants. We also bought two strawberry plants (Blake loves to grow strawberries) and I bought a pineapple sage plant. You can't believe how wonderful it smells ---- just like a pineapple!!

We also bought some flowers and some window boxes. I have always wanted to put window boxes up out front. We couldn't do it at our last house because the windows went almost all the way to the ground.

We found some boxes for $7.00 each. We finally got them planted and hung today. They look so beautiful. My husband did such a great job hanging them. I planted potato vines, red petunias, verbena and dianthus.

I'm glad my husband felt o.k. to do it today as he had a dentist appointment to get a tooth pulled. Long story short, it didn't get pulled....they deadened his mouth, but the spot where the tooth was would not get numb enough for them to pull the tooth. So off we went to get more antibiotics and hopefully he will be able to get it pulled next week.

On another note, I found someone who would barter eggs in exchange for my homemade baked goods. I took some to her today with a list of things that I have available, and she emailed me saying that she has co-workers that want to order some goodies from me! Whoohoo! I was hoping that somewhere down the line, I might be able to make a little with my baking.

Here's a recipe for the day courtesy of Candy at www.keepingthehome.com

I changed mine around a little bit:

BAKED FRENCH TOAST

12 slices of bread ( I use the white potato bread)
1 1/2 cups of milk
4 eggs
1/3 cups maple syrup (I have used pancake syrup)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon

1. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, and then mix in the milk, syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon.
2. Butter a 9x11 baking pan
3. Place 5 or 6 slices of bread in the pan, and pour 1/2 of the mixture on top of the bread.
4. Place 5 or 6 more slices of bread on top of the other slices, and pour the rest of the mixture on top.
5. Cover the pan over with plastic wrap, and put the pan into the fridge overnight.
6. The next morning, remove the plastic wrap and cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. You will not believe how amazing this smells when baking.

No comments: