Friday, March 13, 2009

Adventures in sewing

As I was growing up, my mom made lots of my clothes. I always received a brand new handmade Easter dress every year. I looked forward to it...these dresses were not just your run of the mill dresses. They were beautiful with lace and details. Mom made an Easter dress every year until I was about 16.

During those years, I tried to learn how to sew. I had my own stash of material and scraps that my grandma would save for me to make Barbie clothes. However, I always had problems with the thread getting tangled. I can still remember me trying to sew while my mom was taking her nap. She probably never got any sleep because I was always coming into the room with a sewing problem. I would quietly sneak in and tip toe all the way to the bed, then lean down and quietly whisper " Momma, I need some help. My thread keeps getting messed up." She would always wake up and take care of whatever it was that time.

When I was in high school, I took Home Economics. One of my projects was to make a skirt. I made a corduroy skirt. It had front kick pleats, a fitted waistband and a zipper in the back.

My mom, being the wonderful seamstress that she is, made my wedding dress including my veil. It was truly beautiful and cost so much less than a store bought wedding dress. Not only that, but since it was made by my mom, it has much more sentimental value.

I wish I could say that am as accomplished at sewing as my mom, but I don't think I will ever be. However, I am trying. My husband bought me a sewing machine a few years back because I asked for one. I have dabbled here and there over the past couple of years.

But now I am ready to work at it a little more. I did make new valances for the windows in our new house - and they look great.

I bought a pattern to make a dress for my granddaughter. My first attempt was less than desirable, but I'm going to give it another try. You can afford to mess up a little when the material only costs $1.50 a yard a Walmart.

I did successfully take a pair of my stepdaughters ripped jeans and turn them into a skirt for her. She was really excited about it. I'm going to take some of the leftovers and make a matching purse.

O.k....and my latest discovery PILLOWCASE DRESSES. I had never heard of them, but come across some blogs and websites with pictures and directions. Wow...so cute and easy! I immediately went to the linen closet and found a pillowcase that no longer matches the beddings we have and went to sewing.

All I have left to do is put the ribbons on the top. It took me less than an hour. I wish I could post a picture of my finished project, but as you know I don't have a camera. But below is a picture I found of another pillowcase dress that someone made.



If you are interested in making your own pillowcase dress, let me know and I'll post the site...I can't remember it right now. And them maybe you can post a picture of your dress when it's completed.

Have fun!

No comments: