Monday, March 2, 2009

Family Finances

We are trying to get out of debt, like a lot of other people. Right now, my husband works full time and I stay at home. Since we have moved, this is the first time I have not contributed to the finances and it bothers me.

Even though in the past my financial contribution has not been much, it helped.
My babysitting job that I thought I had earlier, fell through. I am praying that God will open another door.

With our tax money, we will finally be out of debt (not including some money we owe our parents). We recently sold our house that had a large house payment and we are now renting a more affordable house. We are hoping to buy again after the first of next year. When we do buy, we have decided to get a fixed 15 yr loan.

We are following Dave Ramsey's financial strategy. For those that are not familiar with it, the website is .

We will have our Baby Emergency Fund in place and our debts paid off within the next couple of weeks. Then we will move on to our fully funded emergency fund, 3-6 months expenses. Then we will concentrate on buying the house and paying it off as quickly as possible.

It has been a long road - since 2006 and I will be glad to get rid of some of these bills.

I cannot stress enough of how important it is to have a budget and to discuss with your spouse regarding the budget and also purchases that each plans to make.

My husband leaves the bill paying to me. We discuss what is coming up, what we have in the accounts and how to proceed. While sometimes I think I would prefer him to take care of everything, I think the control side of me wouldn't be able to handle it. This is what works for us.


On another note (completely different)....we got lots of snow - 8 inches!!! There is still snow on the ground, but it will be gone soon as it will be in the upper 60's/lower 70's by Thursday.

March - in like a lion!!!

No comments: