Sunday, April 26, 2009

Prayers Please, My Son is in the Hospital

Another crisis has reared its ugly head today. My 18 yr old son, who is currently living with his dad a 100 miles away, was taken to the emergency room this morning with a racing heart.

He has a condition (I hope this is right) called Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome or WPW. He was diagnosed in October of last year and had heart surgery to correct the problem. When he was brought into the ER last year, it was so severe, that they had to shock him twice to try and get his heart rate down. The nurse and the doctor plainly told us if he had waited even 30 mins longer to get to the hospital, he would have died. They said if it had happened to someone older, it would have killed that person instantly.

So, I feel very blessed that my son arrived at the hospital in time. We were told that the surgery would take care of the problem, but as you know, nothing is 100% for sure.

In November, he felt that his was was racing - not as before, but enough for him to panic. He also was very dizzy and of course any strenuous activity just completely wore him out. He was put on a heart monitor that was linked to the cardiologist...this was done for a month. Nothing happened during the time he had the monitor..we hoped it was all behind him.

Now, six months after the first episode and heart surgery, he is back in the hospital. I have not been able to make it to the hospital today, but if they keep him tomorrow, I will be driving there. His dad is with him and will be with him all day. Fortunately, he is NOT in the Cardiac ICU as before and is in a regular room.

I am waiting to hear from his dad to see how his ECG (electrocardiogram)turns out and if they found anything. He did say that the doctor was optimistic that surgery would not be needed and that hopefully they would be able to control his condition with medication.

The medication (beta blockers) will be something he will probably have to take for the rest of his life.

If you could please keep us in your prayers, I would be grateful. It is difficult for me, as a mom, to be so far away from my child.

Thank you.

No comments: