Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pillowcase Dresses

Making a pillowcase dress is fun and easy. You have the option of using a traditional pillowcase or using fabric that measures the same as pillowcase.

A couple advantages of using a pillowcase are 1) it is already hemmed and 20 the only cutting to done is for the top of the dress.

However, if using fabric rather than a pillowcase, you will have many more fabric designs to choose from and you can create a longer dress if you child is tall.

Below are a couple of pictures of two dresses that I made for my 9 year old step-daughter. The pictures did not turn out that well. Also, please keep in mind...I am still a beginner when it comes to sewing.

The first one is made from a standard size pillowcase. Around the neck line, the elastic is sen in the casing and the ribbon ties are also sewn on the front and back and then tied at the shoulder.


The second is not made from a pillowcase, but from material purchased at Walmart for $2.00/yd. This dress took about 1 yd of fabric. I told Kaylin that I would make her a dress and she could pick out the material....she chose pink panther. It is one of her favorite cartoons. This one I embellished with lace. Instead of wearing it as a dress, she decided she wanted it to be a nightgown....oh well, works for me.



You will notice that the neckline is different from the first picture. Instead of elastic in the casing, I threaded the ribbon thru the casing. This was done in the front and the back with it being tied on the shoulder.

I'm thinking with a little practice, that I would like to make and sell these on etsy.com...what do you think? I could just buy the material and embellishments and sell the pattern and materials as a kit...hmmm.

If you have any questions, just leave me a comment and I'll get back with you.

I hope everyone has a good day...it is cold here again. I can't believe I had to turn on the heat!

No comments: