Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Making a Weekly Dinner Menu

Yesterday I shared how I make my grocery list. You really need to start with a menu for the week. If you have never done this before, let me encourage you to start...it will simplify your shopping and you will not have those days when it's 5:00 and you are wondering "what will I make for dinner?".

Take a sheet of paper out and make a list of meals - not in any order at all. Try to come up with at least 20 dinner meal ideas. Here are some of the ones on my list:

chicken spaghetti
spaghetti and meatballs
stuffed meatloaf
roast w/veggis
manicotti
hamburger steaks w/gravy
stuffed bell peppers
enchilada ravioli
nacho potato shoup
chili w/cornbread
white chicken chili
spinach lasagna rolls
chicken spinach pita pockets

etc.....

I won't list everything, but you get the idea. Right now, I have 47 meal ideas listed and it is kept in a notebook for easy reference.

After you have your list, get a calendar...you can print a free one off at donnayoung.org. Use your meal list and write down dinner meals on your calendar. Do this for one week....you can increase it to more than one week once you are comfortable.

Do not forget to take into consdieration your families activity schedule for the week. If kids have things scheduled that day, it might be a good day to schedule a meal cooked in the crockpot.

Having a planned menu has helped me greatly...also the kids do not ask every 15 minutes "What's for dinner?"

No comments: