Monday, February 23, 2009

How I Make a Grocery List

I had originally intended to write about something totally different, then I visited one of my favorite blogs this morning - Keeping the Home. The blog author, Candy, has moved on to become a Christian Homesteader and will no longer be keeping her blog up. While I was saddened to find out that she would no longer be blogging, I was excited for her and her family's new adventure. May God bless them in this new step in their lives.

Candy's blog was such an inspiration to me as a Christian, a mom, wife, and homemaker. One of the tips I learned from here was how to streamline my grocery list so I could be in and out of the stores much quicker. I have to say that it does work...not only does it help to get in and out of the stores quicker, you have less of a chance to miss something on your list. I am now able to make my list in record time and be in and out of the stores in 30 min to 45 minutes.

So I thought I would share with you how I make my list based on Candy's tips.

First things first, make a menu for the week. If you have never done this before, give it a try. I'll go over details in making menus on a separate post.

Once you have a menu, list the ingredients you will need that you do NOT have in your pantry/fridge/freezer.

Write down other items that you will need to buy...it does not have to be in any particular order at this time. Be sure to check for things that you will want to keep stocked in your pantry and don't forget the non-food products like toilet paper!!

Once you have your list written down it is time to organize it. You will need four different color pens....black, blue, red, green. I have one of those pens that have all 4 colors and you just click to change colors.

Looking at your list, put a black mark next to all the NON-FOOD items. Put a blue mark next to all your "dried" goods such as boxed mixes, canned foods, pasta, chips, crackers, etc.

Now on your list, put a green mark next to all the fruits and veggies.

Now your list should just contain meats, dairy and frozen. Put a red mark next to all of these.

The next thing you do is just transfer everything to a separate sheet (or the back). Write all the non-food items in black, write all the dried goods in blue , the produce in green, the frozen, dairy, meat in red.

If you are going to more than one store, choose a different color pen and write the first letter of the store next to the item. That way you know where you are to buy that item.

I would love to show you my list in the different colors....however I am new at blogging and just don't have the hang of doing different colors, so below is the best I can do.....(This is my current grocery shopping list)

Listed in BLACK
air freshener
cat food
toilet paper
laundry detergent

Listed in BLUE
5 lb wheat flour
barbeque chips
potato chips
2 cans italian diced tomatoes
2 6 1/2 ox jars marinated artichokes
2-9 oz pkg cheese tortellini
taco shells
refried beans
saltine crackers
chesse crackers

Listed in GREEN
oranges
coleslaw mix
lettuce

Listed in RED
16.9 ox pkg potato & onion pierogies
2 frozen pizzas
2 pot pies
3 burriots
2 ham & cheese hot pocets
2 t.v. dinners
1 cream cheese
sour cream
2-3 pkgs ched. cheese
string cheese
1 moz. cheese
5-6 yogurts
5 lbs. ground beef
1 1b polish sausage
pepperoni
1/2 lb. crab meat

Questions and comments are welcome.

I'll try and check back later....time to start my Monday chores and homeschooling. Have a great week everyone!

No comments: