Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Working Outside the Home - uggh!

Okay...I started a new job yesterday. I already realize that I HATE this job...its just not for me. I'm glad it's only temporary, lasting just 90 days. I think I can tough it out for that long, but it will be nice to have the extra money. We can really use it.

My hours are from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm with an hour for lunch. I get up at 5am and take my shower and start the coffee. I then put a load of laundry in the washer and go ahead and unload the dishes. While drinking my cup of coffee, I make out a list of chores that I want the kids to accomplish by the time I get home. Realistically, they SHOULD be doing them before any computer or video time...we are still working on that. I will also write out a menu for the day...it lists breakfast, lunch, snack and what I will be making for dinner when I get home.

Just to give you an idea, here's the chore chart from today. I put everyone's name in front of the task (but I'm not going to list their names here, only the chores)

sweep kitchen floor
spot clean kitchen floor
vaccum living and dining room
feed animals
put laundry from washer into the dryer and turn on dryer
clean outside refrigerator
clean bottom kitchen cabinets
clean ALL kitchen counters
clean outside microwave
clean outside of stove/oven
wipe down bathroom counter
wipe down counter & table after lunch
put away dishes that you use - everyone
sweep laundry room

I know that looks like a lot, but with 4 kids, it only comes out to be 3 tasks per child.

I also have to list the following or they won't do it :(

eat breakfast
brush teeth
brush hair
get dressed
make bed
tidy room

Yesterday was our first day with the routine, and we had some issues with one child...and we had issues today with the same child. Hopefully, tomorrow will go more smoothly.

I come home for lunch and try to fix everyone's lunch before I have to get back to work. I can tell, this is just not the life for me.

Anyway, I am leaving tomorrow night to travel to the hospital as my son will be having heart surgery Friday morning. My mother-in-law will be coming over to spend the night with the kids since my husband works night shift - otherwise no one would be here. I am hoping to be back in town sometime on Saturday and will be looking forward to some down time.

2 comments:

Tonia Staggs said...

First of all, I pray all will be well with your son. I hate to hear that your new job isn't working out for you. I've not worked since Feb 09 after working since I was 16-being a stay at home wife and mom has been VERY hard for me, but I'm learning everyday and glad that I'm not working anymore. You have a big family to see about, BUT take care of you too! I look forward to a post that says your son is recovering just fine!
Blessings,
Tonia

Angela said...

Thanks for your well wishes Tonia!