Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Contentment

Is true contentment really possible?

To be honest, I have struggled with this for a long time. The dictionary defines contentment as being satisfied.

I think that in today's society, we are bombarded through the media that whatever we have is not enough. We need large houses, expensive cars, prestigious jobs, extravagant vacations, private schools for the kids. We need these things in order for us to be happy.

Do we really need all this stuff to be happy? Is it possible to be happy with just what we already have?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that we shouldn't strive for more or not want things. But what I'm saying is that you shouldn't do it on the basis of "If I had a new car, I would be happy" or "If only my house were bigger, then I would be happy".

My house is not big. It was built in the 60's...so it doesn't have the newer things that are in the new construction. I do love to go into newly constructed houses and ooh and ahh at all the cool stuff and how big and spacious everything is. But would having that big house make me any more or any less happy than I am right now in my house? I don't think so.

Don't get stuck in the "if only" mindset. If you do, you will NEVER be happy.

Have a blessed and HAPPY Tuesday. Find contentment in wherever you are today.

1 comment:

Tonia Staggs said...

I sure needed a lesson on contentment today, yesterday, the day before....Facing some pretty awful things that I have let cause me to be lazy and not care. It gives me something to think about.
Thank you!
Tonia