Monday, May 4, 2009

Easy Strawberry Freezer Jam

We were blessed this weekend with 14 quarts of freshly picked strawberries from a local farm. I had been asked by my mother in law if I would make some strawberry freezer jam.

For those of you that may have been scared off from making jam in the past because of all the canning equipment needed, you will be pleasantly surprised just how easy freezer jam can be as an alternative to traditional canning.

The recipe below makes between 5-6 8 oz jars....but I used 12 - 4 oz jars.

Before you begin, thoroughly wash and clean the jars.

What you will need:
2 quarts strawberries washed and stems/leaves removed.
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 pkg pectin

After removing stems and leaves, I washed, rinsed, and drained my strawberries.


After they were all clean, I sliced the strawberries to make it easier to mash. Once your strawberries have been sliced, you will need to mash them. You can use a potato masher, but since I don't have one of those, I just used one the beaters from my mixer. You want to keep mashing until the strawberries are in small pieces.


In another bowl, you will want to measure out 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Then add your pectin. Here's what I used. There are two packages in it..you only need one. The pectin is what makes it gel.


Pour your pectin in the bowl with your sugar and mix completely.


Pour your mashed strawberries in the bowl with your sugar mixture and stir for about 3 minutes until completely mixed and sugar is disolved.

You are now ready to ladle into your jars. Once done, put the tops on and let sit for awhile out on the counter. I usually leave mine for several hours before putting into the freezer.



The jam will keep in your freezer for a looong time....but if you want to refrigerate...it will keep in the fridge for about 3 weeks.

Well, I've got more jam to make today.

Hope everyone has a blessed Monday.

2 comments:

Jeannie Casey Thomas said...

Thanks Angela. I am always looking for new things to try in the kitchen and look forward to trying this!

C said...

Your blog is absolutely gorgeous --I love the colors you chose and your posts are great too. Thanks for your vote today! Cheryl Nelson